[Gllug] Reasonable Salaries

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed Feb 2 14:14:26 UTC 2011

On 02/02/2011 13:59, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> One thing that could happen is a 3 month probation leading upto a 9
> month articleship leading upto a full time job. Will need to workout
> exactly what and how that would work, but its an option for sure. I
> guess call it a 12 month probation would be a good way to scare away
> potential candidates.

However you do it, you have to make it objective. So you need to set
goals and parameters at the outset that are clear and unambiguous.

You quite possibly open yourself up to various legal challenges if you
can let someone go at the end of the period 'just because', even if
you've made it clear that it's a fixed term contract.

To do apprenticeship/articles properly requires considerable investment
in time, money and, most importantly, commitment at all levels of the
company.

If you're just looking at it as a way of getting cheaper staff, you'll
find people see right through it.

(Not that I think you are doing that but that might be in the impression
that candidates get)

S.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk