[Gllug] Reasonable Salaries

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Feb 2 13:59:41 UTC 2011

On 02/01/2011 11:50 AM, Bernard Peek wrote:
> A probation period is OK but a year is far too long for it. It's up to
> the employer to take active steps to determine whether the employee is
> suitable and to do that as quickly as possible. I'd say three months
> would be reasonable.

Because we are hiring out from a pool based on potential, its quite hard
to really measure capabilities over a short period of time. If we do
that, it becomes a case of the relationships they form within the peer
group rather than the actual work being done.

One thing that could happen is a 3 month probation leading upto a 9
month articleship leading upto a full time job. Will need to workout
exactly what and how that would work, but its an option for sure. I
guess call it a 12 month probation would be a good way to scare away
potential candidates.

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk