[Gllug] Extremely strange disk imaging problem.

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Jan 21 23:17:08 UTC 2011

On 21 Jan 2011, general told this:

>                                                  I would seriously hope
> that a computers BIOS would have a way of determining the number of
> blocks available on a disk without recourse to reading that value from
> its MBR - there would be so many things wrong with that if it did :/

I have had at least two machines which had BIOSes which would loop
forever if you wiped the first track of their disks. You *could* boot
them -- by disconnecting the hard drive. (Getting data back on it after
that was quite... interesting.)

Of course this was absolutely ages ago: modern machines have had a long
quiet period of their disks mostly sort of working. The new visibly-
4Kb-sector disks will doubtless usher in a new era of horrible BIOS
brokenness.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk