[Gllug] Extremely strange disk imaging problem.

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Jan 22 14:18:08 UTC 2011

On 22 Jan 2011, general told this:
> As for why they came up with such an strange and awful system in the
> first place I can only hazard a guess... 1.7Gb isn't enough space to
> store any useful amount of video content so it was probably some lame
> mechanism for trying to hide the DVD decoders decryption keys.

Another possibility occurs to me. They're already eating two primary
partitions (not extended!) with the DellRestore and DellUtility
partitions. Put MediaDIrect on another one and that leaves the user with
only one for the OS and no possibility for expansion. Since they appear
incapable of releasing new software without putting it on a separate
partition, and since they haven't heard of extended partitions, this
approach makes 'sense' (for very twisted values of sense) as a way to
leave a partition available for users.

(of course, then they do the whole swap-in/swap-out dance, so your
partition is placed at risk by this scheme anyway... if they had a
separate MBR why didn't they have it read from a separate partition
table? Why have it repeatedly modify the real partition table? A
mystery that I'm not sure I want to know the answer to.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk