[Gllug] where do older sys admins end up?

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Sun Jan 2 19:19:09 UTC 2011

A pertinent (US) article, further to:

> Where do older systems administrators end up? I don't know that many
> programmers in their 50/60 and it suddenly dawned on me that I don't
> know any sys admins in that age range.

"The 'Silver Tsunami': Why Older Workers Offer Better Value Than Younger
Ones
Published: December 06, 2010 in Knowledge at Wharton

Just a decade ago, experts warned of labor shortages in the United
States and other countries as the baby boomers marched into retirement
en masse. But with an aging population facing the prospect of living for
decades on shrunken retirement funds, graying individuals plan to keep
on working.

This "silver tsunami" has received a mixed response in the workplace. On
the one hand, many employers have been slow to adapt to the changing
needs of older workers and perceive them to be costly and troublesome to
hire. Data show that people over the age of 55 find it harder to land
jobs than their younger counterparts, even though age discrimination is
illegal in many countries. On the other hand, some far-sighted companies
around the world are working to recruit, retrain and otherwise engage
older workers.

Such workers bring a lifetime of skills to their jobs and can be highly
motivated and productive members of the workplace, according to Wharton
professors. Many of the stereotypes that prevent employers from hiring
and making good use of older workers are merely myths, they say. Among
the most frequent ones:"
http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=2644

--
Regards,