[Gllug] IPv6 allocation options

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Tue Jan 18 10:01:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 07:49 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>    There have been more recent reports that IPv4 is reaching full capacity,
> with available addresses running out within weeks. IPv6 has been in
> development for a long time, and available through a few ISPs for a while,
> but when is it likely to be made generally available to all users? What are
> the most important problems still to be fixed?

As Simon says it's the routers that are the problem although they are
now beginning to appear on the market. So far I can only find 2 consumer
routers which support IPv6 - the lowest price I've seen is £100.

Most consumer ISPs are not yet offering IPv6 however it's likely that
they are ready for it on their own networks. Rolling it out still
requires significant investment to manage allocations so it's not
necessarily easy.

Other barriers to general roll out include the lack of IPv6 RBLs and the
fact that a lot of people still run old versions of Windows which wont
necessarily support IPv6.

Don't forget however that the talk of IPv4 exhaustion is currently about
the /8 networks. When those are all allocation we wont suddenly find
that there are no more IPv4 addresses to be had. There is still a lot of
network space unallocated at the various RIRs and more conservative
allocation policies mean those will last a while yet.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk