[Gllug] IPv6 allocation options

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Jan 18 10:16:29 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 10:01 +0000, Jason Clifford wrote:

> As Simon says it's the routers that are the problem although they are
> now beginning to appear on the market. So far I can only find 2 consumer
> routers which support IPv6 - the lowest price I've seen is £100.

This is just an issue of will - the chipsets for IPv6 have been cheaply
available in the Far East for a good while.  However, there wasn't any
perceived need for IPv6 until recently, and the enhanced chipsets cost
slightly more than the more widespread IPv4 types.

Of course, the other issue is that the manufacturers see IPv6 as another
great "pay-day", when everyone has to upgrade their gear to the new
standard!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk