[Gllug] PCI ADSL2+ Cards

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 00:27:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 12:11:32AM +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> On 16/01/11 23:26, Andy Millar wrote:
<snip
> Erm, other than configure it in /etc/network/interfaces? Not really,
> sorry :/
<snip>

If I understand the device correctly, it's a bit more than an ADSL
modem or an network card. It's an ADSL router (or modem) on a PCI card
that presents itself to the host as an ethernet card. Think of it as
an ADSL router, ethernet cable, and NIC all rolled into one package.

You can configure the Realtek NIC using the normal network tools of
your distribution, but you need to knwo the IP address of the router
to connect to it and configure the Internet connection.

Apparently this device turned up without any documentation, so we
don't know the IP address.

> I suppose if you're having no luck with the interfaces file you could
> try the "arp -s" technique John Hearns mentioned earlier tonight to
> associate an IP address with the card's mac address. I'm clutching at
> straws there though.

For that you would need to know the MAC address of the router.
Hopefully printed on the device, but not always.

Other alternatives are nmap, or running arpwatch (or tcpdump) and
flooding a wide range of IP addresses and broadcast ranges and seeing
what responds (assuming that the router has been setup to respond to
pings).

Unless you like messing around with networks I suspect contacting
the supplier for the documentation is the easiest thing to do.
;)