[Gllug] IPv6 allocation options

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jan 18 12:06:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:49:20AM +0000, John Edwards wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:25:39AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> > On 18 Jan 2011, Chris Bell told this:
> >
> > >    There have been more recent reports that IPv4 is reaching full capacity,
> > > with available addresses running out within weeks. IPv6 has been in
> > > development for a long time, and available through a few ISPs for a while,
> > > but when is it likely to be made generally available to all users? What are
> > > the most important problems still to be fixed?
> >
> > The biggest is probably that no consumer-level ADSL routers support IPv6
> > natively: you have to set up a tunnel, which is both inefficient and
> > highly unlikely to fly for common-or-garden users. Router manufacturers
> > are finally actually considering maybe making IPv6 work, but are still
> > arguing about how to get the IP address and so on onto the router (some
> > are talking about DHCPv6, others are saying that's a disgusting hack...)
>
> Well as most ADSL systems in the world use PPPoA (PPP over ATM) or
> PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) I suspect that extending PPP to use IPv6
> would be the simplest thing.
>
> Actually after a quick search of the RFCs this seems to have already
> been thought about (in 1998):
> 	http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2472.html
>
> Of course this probably requires all the BT and ISP equipment to be
> upgraded or reconfigured to support IPv6 (as well as the customer's
> router), and I don't see much advantage to BT to do this at the
> moment.

Not only does the RFC exist, but ISPs and ADSL router manufacturers
already implement it.  For example, Entanet list a number of Cisco
routers, and a SpeedTouch which worked with their trial of IPv6 over
PPPoA or PPPoE or both[1]:

  http://noc.enta.net/ipv6-over-xdsl/

A&A also provide IPv6 natively as IPv6 over PPPoA over ADSL, or via
a tunnel

  http://aaisp.net.uk/kb-broadband-ipv6.html

...the question is when this technology will trickle down to the more
mainstream ISPs, and be available in a wider variety of routers.

Regards,
Daniel

[1] Having just found this entanet IPv6 page, I'm now wondering if I
    can get this native IPv6 from entanet via my UKFSN DSL account,
    instead using a sixxs.net tunnel...