[Gllug] IPv6 allocation options

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 11:49:20 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 09:25:39AM +0000, Nix wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2011, Chris Bell told this:
>
> >    There have been more recent reports that IPv4 is reaching full capacity,
> > with available addresses running out within weeks. IPv6 has been in
> > development for a long time, and available through a few ISPs for a while,
> > but when is it likely to be made generally available to all users? What are
> > the most important problems still to be fixed?
>
> The biggest is probably that no consumer-level ADSL routers support IPv6
> natively: you have to set up a tunnel, which is both inefficient and
> highly unlikely to fly for common-or-garden users. Router manufacturers
> are finally actually considering maybe making IPv6 work, but are still
> arguing about how to get the IP address and so on onto the router (some
> are talking about DHCPv6, others are saying that's a disgusting hack...)

Well as most ADSL systems in the world use PPPoA (PPP over ATM) or
PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) I suspect that extending PPP to use IPv6
would be the simplest thing.

Actually after a quick search of the RFCs this seems to have already
been thought about (in 1998):
	http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2472.html

Of course this probably requires all the BT and ISP equipment to be
upgraded or reconfigured to support IPv6 (as well as the customer's
router), and I don't see much advantage to BT to do this at the
moment.