[Gllug] Group email

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Mon Jan 31 10:16:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:05:30AM +0000, Sarah Lemarié wrote:
> > Don't you require a Google Account to participate with normal Google Groups?
>
> Hmm I didn't think so, I have one for alumni gatherings and the
> members list shows a swathe of various email addresses mixed in with
> Google accounts. But I could be interpreting what I see wrongly.. I
> haven't looked into it very much - it's a good point to check if
> that's an issue.

You shouldn't need an account, no.  It can be difficult to set your list
options without one.  If you do have a Google account but don't use it
for mail, you can find odd things happening.  I'm in this position and
found that when I did subscribe to Google lists (directly, using this
address, via a subscription e-mail address), Google Groups not very
brightly spotted that I was subscribing using an address associated with
a Google account and sent the mail there.  Without informing me, at the
address from which I had subscribed, that it had done so.  I spend a
frustrating few days receiving "You are already subscribed to this list"
messages and corresponding with the list admins before we worked that
one out.

Fail, Google, Fail.  Don't you think that if I had wanted the mail at my
gmail account, I'd have subscribed using that?

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.