[Gllug] Virtualbox networking problem

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:26:25 UTC 2011

I know I should join a Virtualbox mailing list for this one, but
hopefully I might get a quick answer here.

I have ahd two cases of network "funnies" on Virtualbox over the past
two days, and a lightbuld is struggling to get
enough power to come on.

I am running virtualbox-ose (open source edition) on Opensuse 11.2 x86-64

Yesterday I installed an  image of an appliance - the Leostream
virtual desktop infrastructure connection broker if anyone is
interested,
quite a funky setup, and Lesotream have been quite friendly.
The machine is controlled by a web browser, and is based on a Debian
virtual machine. The machine when booted sends out DHCPDISCOVER
requests, my DHCP server sends bay DHCPOFFER but I never see a DHCPACK
- so the VM comes up with a 192.168.x.x address,
as it never gets a lease.

Similarly today I installed a Redhat virtual machine (I told you I
wrangled servers into submissionf or a living).
Installs and netowrks fine - this time a static address. I can ping,
and I can rpcinfo to an NFS server.
But   mount /mountpoint  just sits there and does sweet Fanny Adams -
and no mount requests logged on the server neither.

Worth saying I have the network interface set to 'bridged' in virtualbox
What gives then?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk