[Gllug] Extremely strange disk imaging problem.

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat Jan 22 11:22:08 UTC 2011

On 21/01/11 23:06, Nix wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2011, general told this:
>> Andy you've cracked it, thanks a million! This _is_ a Dell machine with
>> the staggeringly ill considered "Media Direct" partition and those
> That's a much politer phrase than I used after reading that webpage.
> What the frotz were Dell *thinking*? I mean, they already *had*
> system-critical restoration stuff in perfectly normal partitions, so
> they obviously weren't concerned about people 'accidentally' blowing
> things away... indeed HPA MediaDirect *reduces* system stability, with
> failure modes described in that webpage varying from losing part of
> the MBR all the way up to losing the *system restoration partition* if
> you lose power at the wrong time. And a double-rewrite of the MBR on
> every startup, what could go wrong?
>
> Does MediaDirect actually record bits of DVD into that 1.7Gb partition,
> so this HPA stuff was a crazed attempt to stop people copying it?
> --

Yes, it seems they have seen the light here, no doubt as a result of an
sharp increase in warranty returns! I had another Dell in yesterday with
the dreaded "media direct" button so I had a look at the hex dump of
it's LBA-3 just to see if it looked the same as the problem machine I
had in the other day and it was completely empty. Indeed when I took a
look at its partition table "media direct" was a bog standard extended
partition so they've clearly (and thankfully) done an about turn on this
now and stopped messing with the HPA :)

As for why they came up with such an strange and awful system in the
first place I can only hazard a guess... 1.7Gb isn't enough space to
store any useful amount of video content so it was probably some lame
mechanism for trying to hide the DVD decoders decryption keys.

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk