[Gllug] Caller ID on a POTS line

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Tue Jan 18 10:13:22 UTC 2011

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:01:58 +0000, "general_email at technicalbloke.com" <general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I want to get caller ID info from my POTS line into my computer. It
> seems the only commercial system on the market is the CTI Meteor 2 which
> looks very capable but also costs £120 which I'd rather not spend if I
> can avoid it.

I'd imagine I have a USR Sportster laying around somewhere, which I'm
pretty sure could be persuaded to listen for Caller ID -- I may get
chance to rummage in the garage latter in the week if your interested.

If you are spending money on new kit, I'd suggesting getting an ATA like
the old Sipura SPA-3000, which I believe has now been superseded:

  http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Sipura+3000

which has both a line and phone socket, so can do all combinations of
PSTN<-->VoIP if you manage to configure it correctly.

You might find that such a bit of kit allows you to do anything you
need, depending on what the plan was.

Cheers, Phil.