[Gllug] IPv6 allocation options

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 18 10:38:13 UTC 2011

On 18 January 2011 10:04, Daniel P. Berrange <dan at berrange.com> wrote:
> > What will happen is that most large ISPs will probably end up deploying
> NAT in front of their ADSL users.

Given that corporate LANs already run in private address space, with
proxies etc. to connect
to the Internet, doing this for ADSL users means that in the end the
Internet will be reduced to
one router somewhere which connects up all the NAT gateways - it will
be the only machine on the planet
with some real IP addresses.

(yes I KNOW there is a whole space out there for web servers which you
need to use a real IP address to
reach them - but hell the actual web servers are behind load
balancers, so again we're really not sending traffic
directly to that IP address. Also  academic institutions which use
real namespaces)

ps. AFAIK and AFAIR the CIA reserved class A namespaces early on.
Maybe the spooks could release them and save the planet.

pps. Yes I know what CIDR is and that Class A's have long gone
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk