[Gllug] Painfully slow MySql performance on 64-bit Atom processor

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Jan 13 17:57:42 UTC 2011

On 13/01/11 06:29, John Winters wrote:
[snip]
> However, the new box is balls-achingly slow at running MySql server 5.1.
> record on the old machine, whilst the exact same dump takes an average
> of 44ms per record to load on the new one.

Having spent quite a while web searching, I think I now know what the
crucial difference is - ext4.

The old box has been upgraded from lenny and uses ext3.  The new box is
a clean install of squeeze and uses ext4.

There are quite a few reports out there of performance problems using
64-bit MySql on an ext4 partition.  The fix (?) is to mount the ext4
partition with the option "bound=0", which does indeed produce a
phenomenal performance improvement.  OTOH, I don't yet know what this
option actually does so I'm off to do some more reading.

Cheers,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk