[Gllug] Painfully slow MySql performance on 64-bit Atom processor

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Thu Jan 13 20:12:28 UTC 2011

On 13/01/11 17:57, John Winters wrote:
> There are quite a few reports out there of performance problems using
> 64-bit MySql on an ext4 partition.  The fix (?) is to mount the ext4
> partition with the option "bound=0", which does indeed produce a
> phenomenal performance improvement.  OTOH, I don't yet know what this
> option actually does so I'm off to do some more reading.

I believe this is just ext4 honouring requests to sync to SATA disks
whereas ext3 wasn't. It's a good thing from a reliability point of view
but since most people aren't living through disk crashes all they see is
a performance plummet. Similar issues reported on the PostgreSQL lists.

You can probably disable the binary-log and fsync if this laptop doesn't
have anything irreplaceable on it.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd