[Gllug] IPv6 allocation options

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 12:07:27 UTC 2011

On 18 January 2011 11:49, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> Well as most ADSL systems in the world use PPPoA (PPP over ATM) or
> PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) I suspect that extending PPP to use IPv6
> would be the simplest thing.
>
> Actually after a quick search of the RFCs this seems to have already
> been thought about (in 1998):
>        http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2472.html
>
> Of course this probably requires all the BT and ISP equipment to be
> upgraded or reconfigured to support IPv6 (as well as the customer's
> router), and I don't see much advantage to BT to do this at the
> moment.

For the UK, the network from your house to the ISP mostly uses:
PPPoA (From the host to BT exchange), L2TP (Within BT to carry PPP
packets to the ISP)

So, to support IPv6, BT would need PPPoA to support IPv6 and L2TP to
support IPv6 within PPP over L2TP.
For this to work efficiently, packets larger than MTU 1500 should be
used, so BT would probably go to IPv6 natively to permit larger
Ethernet packets across their network.

.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk