[Gllug] Extremely strange disk imaging problem.

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 17:34:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Walter Stanish
<walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com> wrote:

> after it is installed you need to re-write the old contents
> of the MBR (such as GRUB) that may re-instate the capacity to
> boot (without BIOS-level fiddling) to alternate operating systems
> stored on other permanent physical disks.

This is why I've never understood the obsession with writing the
bootloader to the MBR, rather than the first sector of the boot
partition. That way, the only fix needed after Windows has been
let near the disk is to change the active partition, and everything
just works again.

Tet

--
"Any sufficiently advanced financial instrument is indistinguishable from fraud"
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk