[Gllug] Linux Tablets

Andrew Davies amd_uk at lineone.net
Thu Jan 20 18:36:52 UTC 2011

>  Anyone else get a tablet for Xmas?
>
> John

I bought myself an Advent Vega (P10AN01 rebrand by DSGi). Mostly because
of the dual-core Tegra 2 chip inside which, I hope, will give it a
slightly longer life and more flexibility than the single-core products
floating around.

Bad points:-
Screen is poor, very tight viewing angles are much more noticeable on a
tablet than they are on a fixed monitor.
The wireless tends to act up if you allow the machine to sleep
No official apps market yet, although finding apps on sites isn't too hard
Android 2.2 isn't a tablet OS (but it's good enough for most purposes)
(plus Flash has been taken off of the latest machines due to lack of
certification)

Despite the above, it does exactly what I want from a tablet. It allows
me to been anywhere in the house and browse the web or stream videos
over my network. The tablet itself is very responsive and the software
works well most of the time, given my specific usage (browsing and video
playback).
As I said, the immediate issue with the Vega is the screen but for ~£250
cuts had to be made somewhere. If you think you're likely to be moving
the screen around when the machine is in use then it would probably be
better to look elsewhere or at least get a demo first.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk