[Gllug] Canon camera uploads

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 11:53:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 12:33:25PM +1300, David L Neil wrote:
> There seems to be a transfer-ownership issue with files on/from my new
> (to me) Canon digi-cam.
<snip>

So your current work path is:

Canon digi-cam -> SD card -> HP printer with SMB file sharing ->
Nautilus SMB client -> Freecom NAS

I think there are too many things that could go wrong there.

To simplify it, why not buy a simple USB SD card reader (about 5 GBP)
and plug that into the NAS or the machine running Nautilus?

But if you are really interested in finding the source of the problem
I suspect that the machine running Nautilus is trying to preserve
permissions (default on Unix-like systems) but both the source (SD
card probably using FAT) and the target (NAS running SMB file sharing)
do not support the full range of Unix file permissions.

If you use something like 'cp -a' or 'rsync -a' on the command line
you may get some more obvious error messages.