[Gllug] Canon camera uploads

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Sat Jan 29 14:19:35 UTC 2011

Hello John,

I had similar issues with an SD card for my camera. I could "see" in the camera all the
pictures that I took - when copying to a hard disk - I got a best half or no pictures at
all. A reformat resolved issues - then I got to realise that an SD card has a finite life.
It would be rash to say how long SD cards last - but mine lasted a good 5 years.

Yes I am aware of the poor support offered by most companies. Matters have not improved over
20 years. My response was genuine - it was not because I had no interest in providing a
simple solution that worked for me. I tend to ignore questions I can't answer - and not have
the compulsion to write something for the sake of so doing.

David

John Edwards wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 02:59:46AM +0000, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> <snip>
>> Format the SD Card under Windows. It will remove any pics and all your permissions.
>> Hopefully the problem will go away :)
> <snip>
>
> Why do you think that?
>
> Formatting it under Windows (which you assume everyone has access to)
> will format it with FAT (probably FAT32), which it almost certainly
> already using.
>
> FAT does not understand much in the way of file permissions, so
> re-formatting will not change anything unless there is some filesystem
> corruption. In which case fsck.vfat (in Linux) or the Windows file
> checker tools can be used with needing to re-format.
>
> What a re-format will do is lose any un-copied files. Are you sure
> those files copied 100%? If there is filesystem corruption then they
> probably have not, but a filesystem repair tool may be able to recover
> them.
>
> It is an old Windows support response to "Retry, Reboot, Reinstall"
> when you have no idea (or interest) what the problem is and you want
> them to go away and bother someone else. "Reinstall" is especially
> offensive as it makes that cure worse than the disease.

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the kind.
Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No delusion.”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk