[Gllug] IPv6 allocation options

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 11:24:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 08:03:34AM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> Surely the whole point of IPV6 with its zillion address range was to allow
> everyone to have a permanent(fixed) IP address?
> My impression has always been that ISPs allocate home users addresses
> dynamically so as to save on the the total number of addresses they require.

That was true when people used dialup, and only used it for a few
hours a day.

Now that most people have a permanent connection such as ADSL or cable
their IP address is reasonably constant over time, and is often
permanently assigned.

> Presumably with IPV6 each home user will get a fixed block of addresses?
> (for the PC, the Fridge, the Microwave etc....) and routers will no longer do
> natting. Maybe then we will see DoS attacks on people's Fridges!?

Most ADSL/cable routers now include a basic firewall as well being a
NAT router. Many already do port forwarding and restric external
access by IP address or range. With IPv6 it would be just as easy to
prevent direct connections to internal machines.

But with a lot of old kit (eg printers) still using IPv4 I suspect
that the first generation of routers will still support NAT and IPv4
on the internal network even if they use IPv6 on the internet side.

Anyway if someone wanted to do a DoS attack on a home user, it would
be much easier to just swamp the downstream with traffic, or use some
TCP/IP trickery to get the router to swamp the upstream with return
traffic.

ps. Has anyone ever seen a IP-enabled fridge for sale to consumers?
It seems to be a myth used by people who are IPv6 sceptic, or science
fiction fans.