[Gllug] Extremely strange disk imaging problem.

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Jan 21 08:36:55 UTC 2011

On Thu 20 Jan, - Tethys wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:33 PM, david at gbenet.com <david at gbenet.com> wrote:
>
> > Windows writes to the MBR - even preventing you from booting from a CD or DVD
>
> Please explain how the contents of an MBR can prevent me from booting
> from a different drive. If you were using a bootloader on the MBR to
> boot from CD/DVD then yes, that would no longer work. But nothing on
> the MBR should prevent you from booting directly from a CD/DVD.
>
> Tet

   The Linux kernel can write a universally unique ID to each disc, and at
least Debian "squeeze" is now writing one to every device and ignoring the
address derived from the physical or BIOS location. If you dump an entire
disc this will include the unique ID kindly inserted in the MBR by Linux.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk