[Gllug] Apt and RPM caching experiences

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Jul 4 10:08:25 UTC 2011

On Mon 04 Jul, John Edwards wrote:

> I don't know about Yum/RPM caching, but the default config for Squid
> in Debian/Ubuntu is not well tuned for the caching of apt files.
>
> In particular you need to reduce the lifetime for the various
> Packages, Source, Release, Translation and Index files so that
> they are refreshed more often (or even not cached). Then increase
> the lifetime of the deb files themselves, along with the maximum
> object and total cache sizes.

   No need to bother if you use ftpsync, it uses a modified rsync mirror
system. Beware that the initial load can take a long time as it checks all
files, and I have discovered that it re-checked all files in the local
mirror when I tried to change the source mirror to and from
rsync.mirrorservice.org when I encountered previous problems. Your local
mirror can be used for an installation if you enter the mirror details
manually (top of list of Debian mirrors from the installer).

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk