[Gllug] Apt and RPM caching experiences

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 09:39:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 05:20:16AM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Inspired by an interesting article I read in which someone wrote a
> very basic RPM cacher in Perl, I've revisited the way we do this
> ourselves.  For Debian/Ubuntu we use apt-cacher-ng, and for CentOS we
> maintain a local mirror.  Looking at it again for a few new clients,
> I'm leaning towards simply having a Squid/mod_cache setup that caters
> for both Debian/Ubuntu and CentOS/Redhat, rather than the (rather
> flakey) apt-cacher(-ng) that needs to be restarted once a month, and
> the rather primitive mirroring of the entire repo.
>
> Has anyone got any experiences or ideas to contribute?

I don't know about Yum/RPM caching, but the default config for Squid
in Debian/Ubuntu is not well tuned for the caching of apt files.

In particular you need to reduce the lifetime for the various
Packages, Source, Release, Translation and Index files so that
they are refreshed more often (or even not cached). Then increase
the lifetime of the deb files themselves, along with the maximum
object and total cache sizes.