[Gllug] My god that Mark Shuttleworth gets everywhere

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Tue Jul 12 19:34:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 11:03 +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 10:41 +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> > Doesn't GPL 3 go on about patent trolls and stop useage by them.
> > How many (significant) projects are under GPL 3 -- I know that the kernel isn't.
>
> Microsoft will never touch anything under GPL 3.
>
> A large part of my reason for believing MS will never release a Linux
> based OS is that I think they are also determined never to release
> anything which is subject to any version of the FSF GPL because it's
> antithetical to their own corporate ethos.

Interestingly, spies at Redmond suggest that there's revolution and
sedition afoot - there is already an in-house Unix (which apparently is
very similar to BSD), and there is very high level debate about the fate
of the NT line of "operating systems", and the route they're going to
follow in future as a corporation.

NT is unmaintainable (and has been since the 90s), and each new shinier
bit they pile on top just further reduces its already pretty abysmal
performance (hence the demand for ever faster hardware).  The more
pragmatic amongst them say that NT has reached the end of the line.

They then have a huge problem, with a massive installed base of software
that is unlikely to work under their new operating systems.  Hence their
reliance on the "cloud" - distributed computing is probably their only
real way forward.

The smarter industry types are already predicting the early demise of
NT, and the eventual decline of MS into just another software vendor,
with a line of appliance software that connects to the "cloud".

The next few years should be interesting (but I'd be sure to sell any MS
stock you have in short order!).

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk