[Gllug] ADVERT: Shell Scripting book

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 21:38:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:34:53PM +0100, Steve Parker wrote:
> On 20/07/11 22:33, Alain Williams wrote:
> >We are arguing about the difference between ''the environment'' and ''an
> >environment'',
> >the second is only relevant within the shell - the first is visible
> >outside the shell
> >(ie by child processes)
> >
> And we are talking about a book on shell scripting.

And your point is ?

The shell is something that usually ends up invoking other programs, it provides control
and allows you to string programs together (eg pipes) to do what you want. To talk
of a shell script that does not invoke other programs is an unusual view. Yes you could
perhaps write something entirely in shell (using its built ins) but that is not how
people use it.

Your view on the definitition of The Environment is just plain wrong.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk