[Gllug] ADVERT: Shell Scripting book

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Wed Jul 20 21:33:46 UTC 2011

On 20/07/11 22:30, Tethys wrote:
> Steve Parker writes:
>

>> env is not a shell builtin; it does not report on your shell's state,
>>
> Use "export" to achieve the same effect, then.
>

>> Granted, we're getting down to terminology here
>>
> Well, yes, but only if you consider the phrase "environment variable"
> to refer to a variable in the shell's internal execution environment,
> rather than a variable in the shell's environment dictionary, being
> the third argument passed to main(), like the rest of the world does...
I think that this is an excellent summary, as the effect of setting an
environment variable during the execution of a shell (or indeed, a C
program which calls setenv(3) whilst running, for example) is that of
changing its current environment to include this new variable (or its
new value). The process's environment now includes the new variable.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk