[Gllug] ADVERT: Shell Scripting book

David L Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Sat Jul 16 21:53:00 UTC 2011

Steve,

>>> Rounding off for a more regular-sized pizza box, 5 pizza boxes sounds
>>> like a reasonable answer.
>>>
>>> Am I close? Or have I missed the "funny" part?!
>>
>> The funny part, and you asked for it, is that five pizzas does not
>> sound like much of a justification for a lurking for so long
>>
>> How about selecting a few examples (different complexity levels,
>> diverse applications, both serious and fun) for a GLLUG talk?
>>

> Ahah; I sense that I have been outwitted! There have been a few

Sorry Steve, sometimes the old days return and I can't help myself -
although I was more in expectation of someone taking-up your basic
bushel calculation and adding a compression algorithm (with bonus marks
for adding encryption on the billing/delivery documentation).

=This would have increased the number of pizzas and therefore the weeks
of consumption - or, as you put it, lurk time...

=However...

> suggested GLLUG talks recently, and I certainly agree that meetups must
> be a good thing. I went to the SGI talk a while ago - I can't provide
> anything a fraction as impressive as a 4096-CPU supercomputer.

=blinking lights amuse some of our number but (gaining) hard skills
impress others!

=in the past we've gone so far as to describe GLLUG as comprising at
least two groups of people - one, happy with this mailing list; the
other interested in real-world meetings. So from the very start it is
not possible to please all of the people all of the time... and the only
answer is to float ideas and coalesce a group of interested people.

> So, how about a deal with the GLLUG membership? I'll do a talk on shell
> / bash scripting (and there is some cool new stuff in Bash 4 which is
> coming to most distros soon) if someone else will step up to do another
> talk within 2 months or it? Maybe that could start a ball rolling; there
> are lots of very experienced people on this list who have a lot that
> they can share, and if regular meetings become a norm, it should feed on
> itself and get a bit more interactive...

=a challenge!

=SNS published his book recently...

=another construct is quick-fire talks: nominally five minutes -
sometimes the duration of the actual talk can be grossly over-taken by
the Q&A interest afterwards...

--
Regards,
=dn