[Gllug] Apt and RPM caching experiences

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Mon Jul 4 04:34:26 UTC 2011

Hi Stephen,

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 05:20:16AM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> For Debian/Ubuntu we use apt-cacher-ng, and for CentOS we maintain
> a local mirror.  Looking at it again for a few new clients, I'm
> leaning towards simply having a Squid/mod_cache setup that caters
> for both Debian/Ubuntu and CentOS/Redhat, rather than the (rather
> flakey) apt-cacher(-ng) that needs to be restarted once a month,
> and the rather primitive mirroring of the entire repo.
>
> Has anyone got any experiences or ideas to contribute?

I currently use apt-cacher. Apart from having to have one for Debian
and another for Ubuntu I haven't really had any issues with it. I'm
also just mirroring CentOS base for that side of things.

So no, sorry, I haven't got any new ideas to contribute I'm afraid
but I am interested in how you get on with squid.

Cheers,
Andy