[Gllug] Apt and RPM caching experiences

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 04:20:16 UTC 2011

Hello,

Inspired by an interesting article I read in which someone wrote a
very basic RPM cacher in Perl, I've revisited the way we do this
ourselves.  For Debian/Ubuntu we use apt-cacher-ng, and for CentOS we
maintain a local mirror.  Looking at it again for a few new clients,
I'm leaning towards simply having a Squid/mod_cache setup that caters
for both Debian/Ubuntu and CentOS/Redhat, rather than the (rather
flakey) apt-cacher(-ng) that needs to be restarted once a month, and
the rather primitive mirroring of the entire repo.

Has anyone got any experiences or ideas to contribute?

S.

--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director