[Gllug] ADVERT Meego gathering in London July 5th

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Wed Jul 6 00:20:41 UTC 2011

Having spent a few hours playing with the device, I'm still not
convinced why anybody might want a tablet - my Google Nexus S phone is a
bit smaller, much lighter and far more portable; my Acer AOA150 netbook
is a similar size (but only 1024x600 resolution), has a usable keyboard
(okay, not everybody wants a keyboard, but I do), and I don't really see
what I'm supposed to do with a keyboardless screen other than simply
consume content. I did get the impression that that is what Intel want
devs to do for them - create content for non-technical users - but for
me, I'm not sure what to do with it.

The App Store (www.appup.com) seems to be broken at the moment (404
error!) but when I was looking earlier, it only had Windows apps - no
Meego apps at all. The figures they gave were 1.1m users, 58k
developers, 4k apps. As far as I can see, there are no apps for Meego.
Search for "meego" and you get TweeMe, Facebook and UniversalSync. All
three say that they only support Windows.

 From tonight's talk, that seems to be the background of this appup
store - Windows, x86, and niche devices. To me, that's not an
interesting platform. Linux on mobile devices is a fascinating thing for
me - I wanted to buy a Nokia N900 but my in-store salesperson told me
that the software was "crap", so they didn't sell it any more.

It seems that natively this device can only process Ogg video; I used
ffmpeg to convert "Pirates of Silicon Valley" to ogg and it played back
fine. Maybe that's another part of the strategy - get WinAmp, etc, to
write apps for the "missing bits"? Or maybe it's just that it's still
work in progress. It plays MP3 and M4A.

Oh, and it overheats when recharging, but part of the docs do say that
temperature testing is not valid for this device. As far as I can tell,
(and I am using my landlady's figure-8 power lead to drive it, since it
came with a US power cable), it can't recharge to full battery life
without the charger becoming dangerously hot.

So - it's cool to have a device which some people would pay hundreds of
pounds for. Still, I fail to see what the market is. It's a massive
thing to carry around, needs extra protective devices to stop it from
being damaged, and because it's so expensive, you are inclined to
protect it. But (and this is a big thing) it is "proper" Linux, unlike
my Android phone. It's a (potentially) massive consumer device running
"proper" Linux, glibc, GNU, etc. If that takes off, we've got a serious
FLOSS platform in the mass market. Development for Android (say) is
pretty easy; if the Meego platform (or at least apps for it) can be
"proper" Free Software (as per the FSF definition) then there is hope
for the future of humanity

Steve

--
Steve Parker