[Gllug] ADVERT: Shell Scripting book

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Thu Jul 14 23:53:26 UTC 2011

I am a regular lurker on this list; I've posted a few times. I just
wanted to mention that my book, Shell Scripting: Expert Recipes for
Linux, Bash and more, is due out on 12th August.  It's my first book,
though my tutorial at http://steve-parker.org/sh/sh.shtml has been
online since 2000.

It's not a beginner's shell / *nix introduction book, it's aimed at
intermediate to advanced sysadmins.

At the rate I get for it, (at its RRP of £23.99) I'm personally better
off per copy by selling £5 PDFs through PayPal; it's never going to pay
the bills, I'm not plugging it here to make loadsamoney, but I am a keen
teacher, and I really do think that this book has a good balance of
teaching theory and teaching by example, that GLLUG members themselves
may find interesting, or that GLLUG members' might want their customers
to read.

It's got a "serious" page at http://sgpit.com/shellscripting, and a
Facebook page at http://facebook.com/shellscript
The latest promo thing is a video on YouTube;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNPm3aKzPdg - a 248-line shell script
version of Space Invaders

Steve Parker
http://steve-parker.org/book/