[Gllug] ADVERT: Shell Scripting book

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Fri Jul 15 23:39:16 UTC 2011

On 15/07/11 23:42, David L Neil wrote:
> Steve,
>
> On 07/16/2011 10:20 AM, Steve Parker wrote:
>> On 15/07/11 22:42, David L Neil wrote:
>>> Steve,

>>> I'm regularly surprised and impressed by the caliber and
>>> achievements of GLLUG members - even if some do hide their light
>>> under a bushel.
>>> Friday funny: how many pizza boxes in a bushel?
>>>
>> Rounding off for a more regular-sized pizza box, 5 pizza boxes sounds
>> like a reasonable answer.
>>
>> Am I close? Or have I missed the "funny" part?!
>
> The funny part, and you asked for it, is that five pizzas does not
> sound like much of a justification for a lurking for so long
>
> How about selecting a few examples (different complexity levels,
> diverse applications, both serious and fun) for a GLLUG talk?

Ahah; I sense that I have been outwitted! There have been a few
suggested GLLUG talks recently, and I certainly agree that meetups must
be a good thing. I went to the SGI talk a while ago - I can't provide
anything a fraction as impressive as a 4096-CPU supercomputer.

So, how about a deal with the GLLUG membership? I'll do a talk on shell
/ bash scripting (and there is some cool new stuff in Bash 4 which is
coming to most distros soon) if someone else will step up to do another
talk within 2 months or it? Maybe that could start a ball rolling; there
are lots of very experienced people on this list who have a lot that
they can share, and if regular meetings become a norm, it should feed on
itself and get a bit more interactive...

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk