[Gllug] ADVERT: Shell Scripting book

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 09:20:22 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 12:05:42AM +0100, Tethys wrote:

> Steve Parker writes:
>
> >Java tendsToInsertCapsLikeThis, which I find veryIrritatingIndeed.
>
> Yep, I completely agree there. I guess it's just what you're used to,
> but there is a long standing convention of using upper case only for
> environment variables. That's how it was when I learned scripting a
> quarter of a century ago, and old habits are hard to break, so I've
> stuck with it :-)

Actually the convention comes from the C programming language and is that
things that ARE IN CAPITALS are constants or maybe variables that don't change.
Most of the things that are in the environment do not change - think: TERM, USER, SHELL
which is why you give them names IN CAPITALS.

Regards

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/