[Gllug] Installing Debian Squeeze on a system with 2TB drives

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Jul 3 11:58:39 UTC 2011

On 03/07/11 11:46, John Winters wrote:
> I've hit a problem trying to install Debian Squeeze on a system with 2
> 2TB drives.
>
> The partitioner initialised the drives with GPT partition tables
> (apparently because of their size), but then the stage for installing
> GRUB2 fails because it apparently can't cope with GPT partition tables.
>
> Anyone come across this or know of a workaround? The partitioner doesn't
> seem to offer an option for the type of partition table to use.

Solved it!  As ever, it's really simple once you discover the answer.

If you have 2TB drives, the Squeeze installer silently switches to using
a GPT partition table instead of the traditional MS-DOS one.  If you
have this, then you need to create a small partition of type "Reserved
BIOS boot area" or GRUB won't be able to install.

I hope this is of use to someone in the future.

Cheers,
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk