[Gllug] Could you build a distro?

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Tue Jun 7 10:07:22 UTC 2011

Sunny Aujla wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Jacob Mansfield <cyberjacob at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> what even is the budget? all we've been told is that everything is too
>> expensive
>>

> His budget is £1575 - £1875 as stated in a earlier email.
> --

The thing about a distro is, its not just a one time install. It needs
to be updated (not least for security reasons). If you don't do this why
would anyone use your distro?  Finding all the source code is a major
pain if you are really doing it from scratch, even when you can get the
source code from another distro, it is normally configure to work and
compile based on that frame work, so rip of another distro? Even if you
took another distro rebadged it as CentOS does with Redhat, this takes
alot of work, and why would someone use your distro rather than the
upstream one? (In the case of Redhat cost is the reason)? Letter K and
model railways does not seem a good enough reason for me, but I am a
techy not into marketing.

The alturnative route of platform customisation is probably better as
you should be able to rely on others to do much of the work, however you
still need ongoing maintance, to make sure your patches still work.

James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk