[Gllug] Could you build a distro?

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Tue Jun 7 09:30:23 UTC 2011

On 06/06/11 21:48, Krishna Birth wrote:

> See I have approached other non-LUG Linux forums.  I am surprised with
> all the activity on those forums, there was not much help.  I have
> approached Kendall Weaver at Peppermint Linux in USA and also Philip
> Newborough at CrunchBang Linux in UK.  Both in their own way
> unfortunately turned me down.  It would have been easy if a linux
> distributor could do this project because they have the experience.

You have a number of options available and all of the ones I can see
have significant problems.

You can pay a Linux professional to do the work for you. Given the level
of technical knowledge you have then I would expect this to be a long
and expensive project. The first step will be to draft a precise
definition of what you want done. Then get a quote for implementing the
plan. You could choose an agile approach but I suspect that this would
cost more in the long run, largely because I don't think you have the
knowledge required to explain what you want in a way that a developer
could implement.

You could pay a software house, such as one already producing a Linux
distro. You would need to demonstrate that you have enough of a budget
to do the job. Perhaps by making a stage-payment in advance of the work
being started. Budget about GBP 30,000 with an initial payment of GBP
10,000.

You could start a new open-source project, start by persuading people
with the necessary skills to donate their effort. This will require you
to contact people who have an interest in the philosophy you describe -
possibly by setting up a project web-site. The monetary costs of doing
it this way are low but it will take a considerable time, depending on
how well you can 'market' the idea to the people who can make it happen.
I think this is the best approach for you.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk