[Gllug] Not installing stuff.

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Thu Jun 2 01:45:19 UTC 2011

On 02/06/11 01:19, John Edwards wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:51:54AM +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> <snip>
>> OK, in light of what some other respondents have said I dunno if my mail
>> prog can meet the dependency of mailx on a mail prog with a "sendmail
>> interface" but here's the output anyway...
> <snip>
>
> Or install the heirloom-mailx package, which can use an SMTP server
> instead of needing 'sendmail'.

Thanks for the suggestion John but I've just written a couple of shims
for sendmail and mailx and I'm going to either try what paul suggests -
using equivs (or some such) to persuade apt I already have an MTA,
and/or what Andy suggests - package my prog as a .deb file. I can see
that's going to be a lot more effort but I'm sure as hell going to learn
something trying (even if its that I should have taken your advice
instead!). Wish me luck!

Roger
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk