[Gllug] Not installing stuff.

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Jun 2 08:23:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 02:45:19 +0100, "general_email at technicalbloke.com" <general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
> On 02/06/11 01:19, John Edwards wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:51:54AM +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> OK, in light of what some other respondents have said I dunno if my mail
> >> prog can meet the dependency of mailx on a mail prog with a "sendmail
> >> interface" but here's the output anyway...
> > <snip>
> >
> > Or install the heirloom-mailx package, which can use an SMTP server
> > instead of needing 'sendmail'.
> >

> Thanks for the suggestion John but I've just written a couple of shims
> for sendmail and mailx and I'm going to either try what paul suggests -
> using equivs (or some such) to persuade apt I already have an MTA,
> and/or what Andy suggests - package my prog as a .deb file. I can see
> that's going to be a lot more effort but I'm sure as hell going to learn
> something trying (even if its that I should have taken your advice
> instead!). Wish me luck!

Here are the slides:

  http://git.hands.com/?p=packaging-tutorial.git;a=blob_plain;hb=refs/heads/philh-pdf;f=packaging-tutorial.pdf

From my recent packaging tutorial for the UKUUG:

  http://www.ukuug.org/events/debian2011/

which are a tweaked version of Lucas's, referred to here:

  http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=683

Which links to his slides:

  http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/packaging-tutorial.git;a=blob_plain;f=packaging-tutorial.pdf;hb=refs/heads/pdf

(which have merged most of my stuff into them, although the last couple
of my slides have a bunch of Further Reading links that he seems not
have yet picked up on)

with the canonical site for future work on the tutorial being in git, here:

  http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/packaging-tutorial.git

HTH

Cheers, Phil.