[Gllug] OT: Warning - new WD portable drives!

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Jun 10 22:28:33 UTC 2011

On 10/06/11 22:15, damion.yates at gmail.com wrote:

> So, I'm not a fan of smartmontools.  Does anyone have better anecdotes?
>
> - Damion

Well SMART is a very watered down standard which isn't that surprising
when you consider what's in the interests of the manufacturers.
Notwithstanding that I have found it useful in the past. Logging SMART
parameters over time can sometimes give you an indication of declining
performance and when I start to see reallocated sectors appearing it's a
fair sign something is afoot. It's also useful to tip customers off
there's something wrong when thresholds have been reached, hopefully in
time to get a full recovery done. Sadly I know plenty of people who've
told me "It's been giving me these warning for months and I always just
hit F1 and it works but today it won't turn on"! So anyway, I agree it's
far from great but I still reckon it's better than nothing.

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk