[Gllug] Bridging from wired to wireless

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Jun 13 11:25:46 UTC 2011

On Mon 13 Jun, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> I can give chapter and verse on the setup, but thought I'd ask:
> (a) anybody managed to do this (bridging wired to wireless) successfully
> (b) if they did, did they learn anything on the way that I might have ignored

   Two transmitters on the same channel are likely to be on slightly
different frequencies which will beat and interfere with each other, that is
why adjacent broadcast transmitters use different frequencies for the same
broadcast channels. You will have enough problems through multipaths from a
single transmitter within a building without data travelling over different
routes at random as the signals interact.
   You may need to carefully position a wireless unit specifically designed
to cover a much larger area, with sensitive receiver and high power output.
I do not use wireless at home, just wired ethernet.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk