[Gllug] Bridging from wired to wireless

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 11:35:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, June 13, 2011 12:19 pm, john walker wrote:

> Hi Adrian
> I have had some success bridging using a laptop with debian. I had to
> configure iptables in my case and I also needed to setup dhcp. There was
> also a shell command which manages to turn on packet forwarding in the
> kernel, but I would have to look it up.
> John Walker
> --

John - this sounds more like setting the box up to be a router - which is
obviously possible. But with a bridge I shouldn't have to set up a new
DHCP server etc - the existing one on the network (ie my commodity router)
should handle all requests, nor, afaics, should I need to worry about
iptables and packet forwarding.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk