[Gllug] intellinuxwireless

Patrick Moody patrickmoody84 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 8 17:42:45 UTC 2011

Hi Gllugers,

I'm trying to get the wireless adapter working on my laptop (a HP ProBook 4510s) running Debian 6.  It previously worked flawlessly and without any setup required from me when using Ubuntu10.04, 10.10 and 11.04.

I wanted to give Debian a go so I could learn a bit more, so obviously the first thing I'm going to have to learn is how to get wireless networking working.

I had a look at the HP support page for my model of laptop. It provides some .rpm packages for SuSE but nothing for Debian and the like.
I googled the adapter model "Intel Wireless WiFi 5100AGN" had a look at Intel's site and found the link to http://intellinuxwireless.org/ which says the drivers should already be included in all recent Linux kernels since 2.6.24.  I think I'm currently on 2.6.32 so the driver's definitely supposed to be there.

Anyone got any clues where should look next?
What's different about the way wireless networking gets set up by default in Ubuntu and Debian?

Thanks for any help/suggestions you may offer,

Patrick.