[Gllug] Bridging from wired to wireless

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 10:25:50 UTC 2011

This drove me mad all weekend and the time has come to admit that I and
Google cannot solve it alone...

I want to extend the range of my domestic wireless network by bridging
between a wireless card and a wired card on a machine at one extremity of
the ethernet.

Seems to go well when the card in the machine was using an RT2500 and
80211 + hostapd combination, but soon i realised that the wireless card
was not associating with anything (I am using the same channel and SSID as
the commodity router elsewhere in the house).

Reading some more I read that it was unlikely this sort of card would
support bridging and so I dug out an old DLink DWL650 I had which has a
Prism chipset and so should.

Now bring up the bridge seems to destroy the network, but when I turn STP
on (seems the old card doesn't do this automatically) and reboot the other
bridges (mains adapters) and the router it does come back up but again it
seems that I cannot associate with the wireless card.

I can give chapter and verse on the setup, but thought I'd ask:
(a) anybody managed to do this (bridging wired to wireless) successfully
(b) if they did, did they learn anything on the way that I might have ignored

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk