[Gllug] Bridging from wired to wireless

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 21:30:27 UTC 2011

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011, Adrian McMenamin wrote:

> This drove me mad all weekend and the time has come to admit that I
> and Google cannot solve it alone...
>
> I want to extend the range of my domestic wireless network by bridging
> between a wireless card and a wired card on a machine at one extremity
> of the ethernet.

Just to be clear, you have an existing spare machine and want to play
with linux bridging?

This is bad for the environment IMO.  Just plug a cheap/free (people
always have spare) wifi AP in.  I use an old adsl router with my lan
plugged in to one of its 4-ports on the "internal" switch and it bridges
perfectly as an open LAN.  By using the same ESSID and WPA passed all
(only my Sony PSP doesn't) devices can auto switch, keeping the same IP
and sessions continue as I wonder round the house.

I'm also considering simplifying it more with:

http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/77_dlan-200-av-wireless-n_starter-kit_product-presentation_1.html?l=en

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk