[Gllug] My Internet experience in the West at times is comparable to female foeticide

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Jun 22 13:21:16 UTC 2011

On 22/06/11 13:23, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 10:11 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> Hopefully Martin will ban you from this list too.
> I really hope not. While he has posted a few messages demonstrating that
> he is clueless and has offended some people the same could definitely be
> said for many of us - certainly there are a good number of us on this
> list who have done a far better job of offending people on list than the
> OP has.
>
> So far his posts have not been off topic. He has asked specifically
> Linux and/or computing related questions albeit with a twist most of us
> consider somewhat bizarre.
>
> Jason

Agreed, bizarre yes, totally off topic no. I can see that something as
airy fairy as "spirituality" being mentioned here is going to get a lot
of technical peoples heckles up as I guess most of us are of a
skeptical, if not purely atheist, disposition but, awkward as KB's posts
may be they do show some small evidence of progress. Take the one before
last for example...

He's asking which of the following tools are best for a novice which
indicates that a) he's coming to terms with the idea that he's may well
have to learn to make this distro himself and b) that he's at least gone
to the trouble of doing a bit of research into the options.

Of course that last outburst was incoherent, tasteless and a maybe bit
paranoid* but, other than that, I don't think his behaviour has been ban
worthy. Besides, as a rule of thumb, banning people for their opinions
can be a slippery slope and shouldn't be technically necessary... From
the outcry you'd have thought this list of highly technical people had
forgotten how to plonk people they don't like into a killfile or setup
an email filter :/

Now Meeku, please take heed of some of the feedback you have gotten from
people here, the fact that you have been banned from so many other lists
ought to serve as a wake up call that you are failing to convey your
questions in manner that these forums find acceptable. Remember you are
asking professional peoples advice for free, you need to show you are
willing to put in at least as much effort yourself and try and keep it
strictly technical (even if you do have a spiritual agenda).

Roger

* although there do seem to be a number of people gunning for him now so
maybe not!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk