[Gllug] hplip issues

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Mon Jun 6 12:34:45 UTC 2011

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 12:14 +0100, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>> I am experiencing wireless connection issues. I have Ubuntu 9.10 and a HP Photosmart C4780.
>>
>> (1) I run the set up and install the software - hplip-3.11.5.run
>> (2) Then I run the set up to install the printer on the wireless network. The programme
>> detects my wireless router (Netgear) successfully. At the end, it ask me to take out the USB
>> connection - at that point - I have no wireless printer.
>> (3) I can access my HP-Printer via the web - but am unable to print anything.
>> (4) No matter how many times - more than 50 - I am unable to create a successful wireless
>> link via hplip.
>> (5) However, I have created a successful wireless connection with hplip.3.x.3.run the "x"
>> represents unknown version number.
>
> Can you check on the printer to make sure it is really configured for
> TCP/IP?
>
>  - does it have an IP address?
>  - can you ping that IP address?
>  - what services are running on the printer?
>
> --

The IP address is 192.168.1.4 - pinging produces no results - though I can access the
printer via the web browser. As for services - it prints scans and copies.

The printer gives the following information.

Network Interface: 	Enabled
Host Name: 	HP-PRINTER
Hardware (MAC) Address: 	00-24-81-bc-a0-51
Network Name(SSID): 	NETGEAR
Network Type: 	Infrastructure
Authentication: 	WPA-PSK
WPA Version: 	Automatic (WPA2 or WPA1)
Encryption: 	Automatic (AES or TKIP)
Connection Active: 	Yes
Access Point / BSSID: 	c0-3f-0e-e1-2f-2e
Channel: 	6
Signal Strength (1=low, 5=high): 	5
Downlink Count: 	1103
Total Packets Received: 	914
Unicast Packets Received: 	702
Broadcast Packets Received: 	212
Total Packets Transmitted: 	455
Unicast Packets Transmitted: 	388
Broadcast Packets Transmitted: 	67

Configured By: 	DHCP
IP Address: 	192.168.1.4
Subnet Mask: 	255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 	192.168.1.1
Domain Name:

Configured By: 	DHCP
Preferred DNS Server: 	192.168.1.1
Alternate DNS Server:

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the kind.
Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No delusion.”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk