[Gllug] Could you build a distro?

Krishna Birth krishnabirth at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 19:27:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 10:26 +0000, Krishna Birth wrote:
>> > Do you want to launch a new commercial distro with proper support?
>>
>> This is a not a commercial distro.
>
> In that case your approach is all wrong and unless you change it your
> project is certain to fail.

This distro is based on an esoteric philosophy.  Opensource software /
hardware and esoteric philosophy are nice.

>> > How specific a user experience do you want to provide?
>>
>> It should have a name, branding and user experience resources you
>> normally have on the big successful distros, e.g. Ubuntu and Fedora
>> etc.  I found Fedora to be better in a particular problem recently.  I
>> could not find a practical solution for Logitech USB Speakers S150
>> usage.  Solutions were there on other distros sites, though they would
>> not function for me for some reason.  Fedora distro did it and now I
>> can play the speakers.   Peppermint Linux and CrunchBang Linux I also
>> found to be useful because they had flash incorporated into the Live
>> CD and I could watch videos instantly on YouTube.
>
> You have not answered my question. I suspect that is because you
> actually do not know what you want beyond the rather vague sense of
> something which works in your experience.

No other distro at this time offers what this distro is going to offer.

> That being the case you do not need another distro but rather you should
> look to improve upon one or more existing distros.

This distro has an esoteric philosophy other distros do not at this time.

> If you have money to burn on such a project I suggest you might consider
> looking into bounty payments to get specific features or devices
> supported which you consider important.

See previous responses.  Also I am on a budget.  This is
non-commercial.  I have not gone to a software business.  I have
approached this mailing list.  I am wanting the best deal.

>> > What target market are you considering for the distro?
>>
>> The market is the world.  Generally it is going to be the open-minded people.
>
> That is not a market but rather a sign that you've not really considered
> the question properly. There are lots of distros out there already so
> unless you have a specific market or a specific user experience in mind
> starting another one is a waste or time.

I have said above that this distro is like no other distro and this
distro is based on an esoteric philosophy.  It is going to be a
non-commercial distro.  It is a grass roots based distro:  new distro
and new people.

Regards,

Meeku
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk